Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Hi-yo Silver.




Got a new bike recently. It changed everything. Now all I need is someone to ride it with...

Interesting stories are already hovering around this bike: Firstly, it was cheap. Wayyy too cheap for a solid street bike. Maybe someone died on it? Ha. But As I was buying it a woman, a cyclist enthusiast supreme, approached me and said, "You found that bike in this shop?" She was a regular there and never saw a bike like this pass through. Her envy hung in the air around us like an anvil from a string. She complimented it and drooled over it a bit. I knew I made the right choice.

Then I rode it home. I felt more free and empowered than I had in a while. And I was terrified of city cycling. Being from Texas and Oklahoma I never had much biking experience let alone real city navigation. And somehow that made it all the better. Doing the things that terrify us the most always end up being the most worthwhile.

A guy who must live on his bike pulled up behind me on the way home. He came complete with spandex cycling suit. The helmet, the sunglasses, the gloves, the revealing colorful shorts. The whole "I peddled out of my momma's womb on a bike" look. He asked me what kind of bike I had. I told him I had no earthly idea. He said, "That's a damn good bike. What you got is a stealth." I asked him what a stealth is. He told me in the bike world a stealth bike is a bike with no brand names or labels so people stripping bikes or stealing them usually pass them up. They assume the bike is old and crappy and painted over or stripped of paint usually. So a stealth is a bad ass bike with no labels or bullshit attached (something that attracted me to my bike right away) that is actually a beast of a bike. I fell in love even more with this bike on the way home.

"You made the right choice", he said.

"I know", I said.

No comments:

Post a Comment